Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Fitness Goals: A Realistic Approach

I tend to go through phases with my exercise routine. For several months I’ll stay committed to regular weight-lifting with no problem, with only the rare workout spent on much-hated cardio. Then my dumbbells will spend weeks gathering dust, while I spend all my time walking, jogging or doing step videos. It’s a habit I’ve been unsuccessfully trying to break for years, but I think I may have figured out why I do it. I tend to have an all-or-nothing attitude when it comes to fitness; if I can’t commit to at least 5 days of 60-minute cardio sessions (or three strenuous lifting workouts) every week, why bother? This quickly leads to exercise burnout, and I turn my attentions from one type of exercise to the other. So in the spirit of putting bad habits to rest, I’m trying something new. Instead of mapping out an exercise routine I’ll never be able to stick to, I’m taking it down a few notches. My current goal is two days of cardio and two weight-lifting routines every week. The cardio doesn’t have to be super-intense, or last for a full hour, and the lifting sessions don’t have to target every single muscle at once. I just want to create a new habit of being active on a regular basis and, most of all, not dreading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment