Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Butternut Squash Risotto



What is it about the farmer’s market that just makes me want to cook? 

This weekend I finally stopped by my nearest farmer’s market, and I realized just how much time (and money) I’ve been wasting buying produce from the supermarket. This market in particular is tiny, but something about the open-air environment and those unbagged piles of produce totally got me inspired to eat my veggies. 

Now, let me be clear about one thing: I don’t really like vegetables. I’ve come a long way in the last few years in terms of eating them regularly and not hating them, but I’ll never be one of those people who drools over a pan of roasted veggies or a fresh garden salad. I always in awe of those people, but it’s just not happening for me. 

But as I stood admiring my vegetable bin overflowing with locally-grown produce, I found that I was actually looking forward to eating my veggies. Most of what I purchased is the same stuff I get at the supermarket - carrots, bell peppers and zucchini, to name a few - but I also came home with a butternut squash, given to me (for free) by the lady at the produce stand in thanks for buying from her (another advantage over the supermarket). I had no clue what to do with it, I just knew it had to be something special. 

That evening was spent leafing through cookbooks and browsing websites to find a dish worthy of that squash. I finally settled on a butternut squash risotto which sounded pretty tasty. Well, I made the risotto last night, and I was just amazed by how something so simple could be so good. 


The flavor of the chicken stock really comes through in risotto, so homemade chicken stock is definitely the way to go. But if homemade just isn't an option, spring for the best store-bought stock you can afford. 

Butternut Squash Risotto Recipe
Adapted from allrecipes.com


Serves 4 as a side dish, 2 as a main course


Ingredients

1/2 medium-size butternut squash
2 tbsp. butter
1/3 cup onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup Arborio rice
1/3 cup dry white wine
3 cups homemade chicken stock
1/3 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt, or to taste
Black pepper, to taste
Sage for topping (optional)


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. 


Place the squash (halved lengthwise) skin side down on a baking sheet and roast in the preheated oven for 45 to 60 minutes, or until the flesh is very soft.


When the squash is cool enough to handle, scoop out the seeds and discard them. Use a large spoon to scoop out all the flesh, and set aside. If the squash isn't smooth or soft enough, give it a few 
pulses in the food processor. 


Place the broth in a saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer on the stove; the broth should remain at a simmer while you cook the risotto. 


Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high and melt the butter inside. Add the diced onion and cook for two minutes. Add the minced garlic and Arborio rice and cook for three to four minutes more, stirring frequently. 


Add the wine to the rice and cook until the liquid has evaporated, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, then reduce heat to medium. Add in 1/2 the butternut squash and 1 cup of hot broth, continuing to stir constantly until the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Pour in another cup of broth and stir until it's been absorbed. Then add the remaining broth and the other half of the squash and cook, stirring constantly, until the broth has been absorbed and the dish is creamy. 


Stir the grated Parmesan into the risotto, then taste the dish to judge how much salt is needed. Add Kosher salt and black pepper to taste. 


Spoon the risotto into individual bowls or plates and top each with an extra tablespoon of Parmesan and, if desired, a sprinkle of dried sage before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment