Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Healthy Toddler Meal: Quick Bean Quesadilla


As every mom knows, toddlers are fickle creatures - especially when it comes to their eating habits. Around here I'm constantly offering my 18 month-old new foods, but I have a few staple meals that I go back to again and again. This quick bean quesadilla is one of my favorites because it meets the three basic requirements: it's nutritious, easy to prepare and my son always gobbles it up.

I usually serve this with some fruit on the side, but this recipe is perfect for sneaking some veggies into your picky toddler's mouth. Try shredding some zucchini, squash, bell peppers or carrots, or cutting tomatoes into tiny pieces and sandwiching them between the cheese and beans.

Bean Quesadilla Recipe


Ingredients


1 small whole-wheat tortilla
1/8 cup refried beans
1/8 cup shredded cheese
2 tbsp. shredded or finely diced vegetables (optional)

Instructions

Lay the tortilla on a microwave-safe plate and sprinkle the shredded cheese on one half of the open tortilla. Spread the refried beans on the other side and place the vegetables on top of the beans.

Heat the quesadilla in the microwave for 30 to 60 seconds, or until the cheese is melted and the beans are warm. Fold the tortilla in half, allow to cool slightly, then cut into small pieces using a pizza cutter.

No comments:

Post a Comment