Pages

Friday, June 17, 2011

Hitting the Weights...Again

Photo Credit: bepositivelyfit

In an effort to bust out of my cardio-only exercise rut and get back to strength-training, I've been scouring the internet for new weight-lifting routines and ideas. I have a shelf full of great lifting workout videos and a mental library of exercises that I could certainly put to good use, but I've been needing something new to get me excited about strength-training again.

I was recently browsing Ilovefetacheese.com, one of my favorite fitness blogs, and I noticed that Christina (the blog owner) is an affiliate for Tone It Up. I'd never heard of the program, but I checked out the website, and I have to admit that I was underwhelmed at first glance. The program was created by Karena and Katrina, two young women who happen to have bodies I'd kill for.

I don't know if it was the many glamour shots of the girls, the advertising partnerships all over the homepage or expensive price tag of the Tone It Up diet plan, but something about the whole thing struck me as gimmicky; you know - "lose 15 lbs. in one week and look like these beautiful models just by following our salad-only diet!!!!!"

The only reason I gave the website a second look is that I knew Christina liked the program - and if you've ever read her blog you know she eats real food and follows a serious workout regimen (no 2 lb. Barbie weights for that girl!).

I did a little more reading on Karena and Katrina and was surprised to learn that they're both personal trainers and nutritionists, and while their diet plan has to be purchased, the workout plans and videos are completely free. Never one to pass up something free, I decided to try one of the Tone It Up workouts, and I have to say, I loved it! The girls use a lot of classic strength-training moves like squats, lunges and planks, but they also add some cool twists to the moves so you don't feel like you're doing the same old routine. I also love that they have such a variety of workouts, some cardio-based, most strength-based, and many that combine the two.

Most of the routines are short, so I've been combining two routines (usually a pyramid or other printable workout) with a video. Since I'm not new to lifting, I often use heavier weights than shown in the videos, or I use weights even when the moves don't require them.

The website is a little bit overwhelming, as packed as it is with videos, workouts, beauty tips, etc. and I still haven't figured out whether I'm supposed to be doing the routines in a specific order. I've pretty much just been clicking around until I find two workouts that appeal to me.

So if you're bored with your usual lifting routine, or you're new to strength-training, I recommend checking out some of their workouts. If nothing else, their bodies will definitely inspire you!

*In the interest of full disclosure, I should say that I'm not a Tone It Up affiliate, nor do I endorse their products/programs/diet plans, and I'm certainly not getting paid to recommend them to readers (I wish!). I say this only because I hate when my favorite bloggers recommend products to me, and then I find out they're being paid to promote a company. Clicking on the above links to the Tone It Up website won't result in me being paid or rewarded in any way, I just want to share with my readers what's working for me. Plus, the workouts are completely free!

No comments:

Post a Comment